Friday, April 15, 2016

Laundry Room Renovation-Part 1 (again)

 Six and a half years ago when we moved into our house, this was what our laundry room looked like. Plain and boring.
I tried to add  a few touches in the corner to make it look a little nicer, but it was still fairly blah. Functional, but blah.
 Then I got the bug to decorate in the laundry room. I have people in there on a somewhat regular basis because I cut hair in the nook of my laundry room. I wanted the room to look a little nicer, so I had hubby build some amazing risers for the washer and dryer. 
I painted the walls, and it gave the room less of the cookie cutter look.
 I also added some seating for my clients, and that seemed to make things better.
  However, it didn't take very long before I was tired of that arrangement. It just wasn't working. We sold the risers and the bench, and we stacked the washer and dryer hoping to create more space in the area. We built a table to fold the laundry on, and I thought that was going to be it. 
There were still issues with the arrangement, though. The laundry was always on the floor, if I put clothes on the table to fold, things would inevitably fall behind the washer and dryer, the kids couldn't reach the dryer, and I really wanted to put the pups' crate in there as well, and there wasn't a place for it.
I sat in my stylist's chair one day and just stared at the laundry room. I kept trying to figure out what could be done to solve all of my issues. 
I hopped on Pinterest, and typed in Laundry Room, Laundry Room Storage, Laundry Room Design, anything that I could possibly think of for some inspiration.

After pinning for what seemed like forever, I started finding things that caught my interest. 
I needed storage, I needed a place to put my laundry to fold, and I needed a place to hide the dirty laundry when I had clients over for a cut.
Once I figured out what I really wanted for that space, I could narrow down the design.
I loved the idea of taking cabinets all the way to the ceiling. It's my opinion that one can never have too much storage space.
 I loved this stacked laundry basket area. It seems like every laundry system only has slots for three colors. I usually need 4-5. This seemed like a perfect solution.
 And who doesn't love subway tile? Absolutely timeless.
So after gathering loads of inspiration, I put pencil to paper and drew out what I wanted my laundry room to look like.
I was so excited about my plan and I knew hubby could build it. I just needed to convince him it was a good idea!
Thankfully, he loves making me smile, and we tore apart the laundry room once again.
Next I will share the progress we have made thus far, so make sure to check back!









0 comments: